Friday, August 29, 2014

Making the Jump

We often tell our children things like "don't let fear stop you from going after something you want" and "just go for it" but how often do we follow our own advice? 

Just over 16 years ago I graduated from Ohio State with a degree in Agricultural Communications and Business. After graduation I worked for a small public relations firm for a few years before gaining the experience I needed to open my own consulting business. This was the perfect career path to allow me to be able to do what I loved, while being able to stay home with my kids. When we moved to Japan I was unable to continue with my business and took the time to truly immerse myself our expat assignment.

Since returning stateside, I have been substitute teaching. It started as a way for me to get to know the local kids, as well as, the school district. What I didn't count on was that I would absolutely love being in the classroom. This should come to no surprise as both of my parents and my aunts and uncles were all teachers. So after much discussion with my family and lots of praying, yesterday I made the jump and sent in the beginning paperwork to return to school and get certified as a teacher. 


My hope is to one day be able to teach English/Language Arts and/or Marketing to high school students. I want to share my love for books and writing with students and hopefully, somehow, make a difference in their lives. I remember at my mother's funeral, students she had over 25 years ago talking about the impact she had on their lives. I never thought I would say this, but I want to be like my mom. (Matt, please take that statement with a grain of salt) 

We all have fears. We all have something that we want to be doing, but fear is holding us back. Today I encourage you to let go of that fear and make the jump. Take the risk. Just go for it. 

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic." ~ Unknown

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE your blog. And I envy you your travels. Maybe one day, I'll be blessed enough to venture forth. I understand completely about fear. I recently retired, which took a huge leap of faith. That ever present safety net is gone. What if???
I look forward to reading more.
Have a blessed one!

Haris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Haris said...

Hey, I read your blog.
It's very helpful for me and such a very unique blog thanks for sharing with us.
If you want best https://www.nursingassignmenthelp.co.uk/
then visit our site with a 7O% discount. I expect you will be satisfied with our service.

tywhot said...

click discover here visit her comment is here go to my site discover this