Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Taking God Out of the Chistmas

Today I was in charge of Lunch Bunch in Chris's classroom. For Lunch Bunch a parent comes in and takes a small group of kids and spends lunchtime reading to them while the kids eat. Chris loves when I am the lunch bunch mom for the day.

I always let Chris choose a group of books for me to read. It is like his special assignment for when I am on duty. He loves books almost as much as I do so he gets a kick out of choosing the books for the day.

This morning I quickly browsed through the books before Chris put them in his bag. He had three books that were the story of Jesus' birth and the "meaning of Christmas". As a Christian and someone who believes that "Jesus is the reason for the season" I should have let him take them to school and for me to read them at lunch. But as a school volunteer I am to abide by the school policy, and that is God isn't allowed in school. Chris was questioning why he couldn't take them to school, and I honestly had no answer for him. How do I explain to him that something Matt and I value and teach our children are not allowed Monday through Friday, 9 am - 4 pm, 180 days out of the year.

Yesterday I was getting food from the deli at Kroger's. I am a frequent shopper there so the people know me. The worker told me that if she didn't see me, to have a Happy Holiday. I told her to have a Merry Christmas and she looked at me and said she wasn't allowed to tell us the same, so Happy Holiday would have to do. I told her that nothing stops me from telling her Merry Christmas, so have a Merry Christmas. She smiled and said thank you, and Merry Christmas to you too and God Bless.

I don't care if people tell me happy Hanukkah (granted I do look like my Jewish roots), Happy Kwanzaa or whatever. But I wish the government and society would stop telling me to wishing a Merry Christmas. Sometimes I think it is easier to tell people Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa than to wish them a Merry Christmas.

What made society so against God? We are already trying to take the pledge out of the school. What is next? Redesigning American Currency? Having Holiday Trees in December? Banning youth groups from selling donuts on the corner because they are selling on behalf of a Godly organization? Arrest people who say "God Bless You" when someone sneezes? Maybe I am thinking overboard, but the matter of the fact is that I fully believe it will happen. It is only a matter of time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

And . . . I totally agree.

Leesha said...

I agree also...it's very sad what the world has come to.

Victoria Martin said...

no kidding, why is it so wrong to wish someone a Merry Christmas, I really don't get why a well-meant sentiment should be offensive! I mean, I know the semantics but it still doesn't sit right with me! ugh!