Saturday, September 15, 2007

Okay Don't Pray For Rain

Tonight Matt and I dropped Emily off at practice and went to look at projection televisions. We had to goto the Sam's Club in North Raleigh to get the television Matt wanted. We were cutting close on time to pick Emily up so after we bought the tv I dropped Matt off at the house and went to pick Emily up.

Hallelujah! While we were at Sam's Club it started to rain. It wasn't raining when I left the house and drove to pick Emily up 15 minutes away. Since I was late in picking her up I didn't notice that I left my cell phone in the truck. Practice ran 15 minutes over so when we went out to the truck I heard my phone ringing. I answered to hear Matt screaming at me that there were tornadoes all around and he was scared to death because I didn't answer. At that point the weather was still fine where we were.

Emily and I started out for home. The sky was dark and the rain was just starting to fall. Everything then happened so quickly. We heard this horrible sound and the sky looked like I have never seen it. The rain was blinding and the power had gone out all around us. Practically the next street over was a funnel cloud in the sky. It looked something like this. (These are actual shots from where I live)


Emily was screaming, I was crying and trying to call Matt. We pulled into someone's drive and didn't know whether to stay put or goto the door. (Both could be dangerous, who knows who lives in the middle of nowhere) Matt said to stay put and if the sound got louder to get into the ditch. He then talked to Emily to try to calm her down. As luck would have it the phone cut out just about then so Emily was screaming "Daddy! Daddy!" I got Matt back on the phone and I think he may have been trying to make me not think about what was going on all around us because he then launched into telling me that our brand new flat screen tv was broken and we needed to return it. (At least I am hoping he was trying to do just that and not really worried about the dumb tv).

It took us almost an hour, but we made it back. Emily is tucked into bed (I guess all that screaming tired her out) and I am drinking a beer and getting ready to tag garage sale items for tomorrow. There are still storms headed our direction so I doubt I will be able to sleep. Who would have known that a hurricane that hit Texas would have such an impact all the way in North Carolina. But I guess on the bright side, I heard we got two inches of rain.

So the moral of the story is this –– Someone told me once to never pray for patience because God would give you something to be patient about. Never pray for rain either because who knows what form God will give it to you in. It may just be in a funnel cloud on the side of the road where two Jacobs' gals are scared to death.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! What an...adventure! I can't believe those pictures!

Jennifer said...

OMGosh! I love storms..but not those kinds! Glad you guys are o.k.

Now to the garage sale~ wish I was there to get those baskets!! I'm a HUGE sucker for baskets and candles!!!!!! Keeping fingers crossed you make allot of Mula:)

Weekend Blessing to you, and again glad you guys are o.k. Hope Emily won't freak out at every storm that comes your way not? Very scary.

Jamie said...

A, I am so releived that you guys are ok. I can't imagine...... oh well actually I sort of can because I did live here in Decatur when two tornados hit back to back within a few days. When the first one took its path along the lake shore, I was at work in mt.z and my grannie was here at the house with ash. It was horrible. (think fish with stick stuck in mouth!)

Anyway ((hugs)) to you both and just think of the stories em can tell now.

Corie said...

Wow, I cannot believe those pictures! That would have been so frightening!!!
I am glad that you two are home and A-ok.
Whew! Well, I definitely will stop praying for rain! Your previous post really had me thinking and praying about it!!!
((HUGS))

Tracey said...

Holy crud! I can't even imagine how scared you gals must have been. Glad you made it home ok.

Unknown said...

Wow. God is gracious indeed... Glad you're safe!

LiLi said...

I'm glad you were all able to get home safely. Those were some mighty frightening looking funnels! We get them here occasionally. NO fun, no fun at all. I'm sorry it scared Emily so badly. They freak me out when we see them coming. Hope Matt's TV is OK! LOL

ErinFiat said...

I can honestly say I've never actually seen a funnel cloud up close. My heart is still pounding from your pics.

I'm so glad you guys are ok.

Erin said...

That makes me sweat looking at those pictures. Since this summers tornadoes around where I live, I can no longer actually say I love storms. I'm glad you guys are safe and sound.