Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Holy Big Sandwich

Serving sizes in Japan tend to be way smaller that what we are used to in the United States. If you order pasta it is usually what us American's would consider a "side dish". If you order a sandwich, you are lucky if it has two small slivers of meat, usually of the ham nature.

Today I met up with some people for lunch at Mother Moon Cafe down in Sannomiya. It is this cute little cafe that serves pastas, pizzas, salads, soups and sandwiches and has a broken English menu of sorts. Gaijins really like this place. Imagine our surprise when we were handed a brand new menu that had different items than what we have seen before. Change isn't easily welcomed when we find a system that works for us non-Japanese speakers/readers.

I have never seen a roast beef sandwich offered here so I decided to throw caution to the wind and see what this sandwich was all about. Needless to say I was excited beyond words when I received a tiny bowl of soup, fried potatoes (Japanese version of french fries), and two halves that looked like this:

I know most of you are looking at this and thinking "Umm, okay. What is the big deal?" But you see, not only is this REAL roast beef, but it is layers upon layers of HUGE pieces of meat on ciabatta bread. The sandwich was literally so big my mouth couldn't bite the whole thing.

I couldn't eat both pieces, and there was no way I was letting this little gem go. See, doggie bags aren't exactly known here. So what was a girl to do? Wrap it in paper, stick it in her purse, and haul it around town of course. It arrived home a little smashed, and my purse has a faint smell of dead cow, but you would have done the same thing.

I guess sometimes change is good.

No comments: