Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Pottery Making in Kyoto

Japan is very famous for its pottery. So I was more than excited when I heard that CHIC would be offering a day trip to Kyoto to make your own pottery.

I didn't quite know what to expect, as things never wind up being what you expected them to be here. There was nine of us in our group. We took a train, then a bus, then walked to the studio. Outside there was a sample of sizes and colors that we could choose from. You could make any shape really, the cost more depended on the final size of the piece.

Once inside there were seven potter's wheels and finished and unfinished (ready to be fired) pottery everywhere.
 

There were three potters there, two of which spoke very good English. They first explained to us how to work the wheel and clay and then they let us have a turn at making our own piece.
 
 
First the clay is shaped into a small ball with an indent on the top.
 

Next you wet your hands and start shaping the clay. There are different techniques you use to make the shape and form of your piece.
 
 

Now I was very nervous about doing this. I do not have an artistic bone in my body. However I am very proud to say that not only did my piece turn out darn good, but the guy praised me several times and said he was surprised this was my first time making anything on a potters wheel. Yes, I am being a bit self-righteous and braggy here, but considering my past history of trying anything artistic I think I have a right to be. Just ask those who have attended tea box classes with me or my good friend Keri. Matt, however, was not as thrilled about my bowl as I was. I think he is afraid this may become an expensive liking.
 
  

I choose a dark brown with a speckled color on the top for the glazing. I cannot wait to see what it looks like finished.  I should get it in about two weeks.

Next we went to lunch at a cute little tempura and noodle shop. Very yummy.

After lunch, the real adventure began. But that will be saved for my next entry. After all, I need something to make sure my readers come back.

5 comments:

Christi said...

Your bowl looks really good! I've always wanted to throw a pot.

Kimmber said...

Looks beautiful! I would love to try making pottery on a wheel. Here you just go and get to paint an already made piece.

Unknown said...

I'm in Kyoto now looking for a pottery class to take. Thanks for sharing, I'm going to look up the place you went to!

Magz said...

Hi,

How much was shipping of the ceramics ?

How long did the whole class take?

Thanks.

Anna said...

Hello,
I will visit a friend in Kyoto and during my stay i want take up pottery classes.
Do you remember the name of this one? Or where was it locatetd?
Thank you!