Monday, September 15, 2008

And the adventure begins...

Matt left this morning for Japan. He is leading a meeting all week and then I fly out Friday afternoon to meet him for our week long house hunting and Japan "orientation" trip. If this morning is any indication as to how this move is going to go we are in for big trouble.

Matt's flight was to leave at 12:38 pm. We left the house early so Matt could buy a computer backpack. In Japan he will take the train to work every morning and from what I hear the hills to most of the train stops are huge. So he figured a backpack would be easier to carry than his briefcase. We found a decent one, as well as a new pair of pants. Of course Matt needed to assure himself that there wasn't a better backpack so we had to stop at a few other stores along the way to the airport.

Best Buy didn't open until 11 am and he said we had plenty of time to wait. (The airport is about 10 minutes from Best Buy) Now let me stop here for a moment and explain the difference between Matt and I and air travel. I am the person sitting at the gate at least 2 hours before boarding. Matt is the person everyone hates as they have to hold the plane as he boards breathless from running to make the flight.

Anyways, while we sat in the car for 20 minutes he put everything in the backpack he just bought and put the new pants in his suitcase. Afterwards he and the kids went to wait with the other masses standing outside Best Buy's doors. I sat in the car and cleaned out my purse, looked and saw no keys in the ignition, locked the van door and then went to wait with everyone else. (Do you see where this is heading?)

Of course there wasn't a backpack and while I stood in line to buy a super cool new wireless mouse, Matt went to pull the van around to pick me up. However instead Matt came back inside to get the keys from me –– the keys that I did not have. It was at this point that Matt realized he put the keys in the suitcase in the back of the van. In the back of the van that I had locked.

It was 11:15 am. Matt's flight was to leave in 75 minutes. We called the police and unless the kids were locked on the car they wouldn't do anything. The locksmith could be there in 30 to 45 minutes. We called our neighbor and he was on his way to bring us our spare set. In the meantime Matt ran about 1/4 mile down the street to a Michael's (it was over 90 degrees out) and found an over-the-door hanger to try to jimmy the lock system through the window. (I swear no one carries wire hangers anymore) Just before our neighbor reached us Matt got the lock undone. And we were off, like race car drivers, to get Matt to the airport in time for his flight.

Matt was filthy and sweaty. The kids and I were stressed. And our poor neighbor drove like a bat out of heck for nothing. But Matt made his flight, the kids and I went to lunch to unwind and I made my neighbor and his kids dinner (his wife is in California this weekend) for being such good sports.

I leave in five days. Let's hope my departure is a little bit smoother.

8 comments:

Aimee said...

You and I sound so much alike. I love to be early to the airport, not only for peace of mind, but to people watch! :) My hubby is also the one running for the plane!

Glad that everything worked out o.k., and hopefully your trip on Friday is smooth.

BTW - I was talking to my hubby about you and telling him that I would love to move to another country for a few years - it sounds like such a great adventure! I'm going to live vicariously through you, so you better update the blog - A LOT! :)

Jennifer said...

I hate days like that...

Deborah said...

omg, how stressful! I would have been freaking out. I'm glad he got off ok, and good luck on your trip.

Terri said...

those are exactly the reasons to leave super early "just-in-case" they happen. I hate stressing like that and since you are the total opp. from Matt, your flight shouldn't be as eventful. But boy I'd hate to make that trek alone, how many hours in the plane? Blech.

Jill said...

Oh no!! I hate days that start like that. It's like the rest of the day is a mess from one bad incident!

Good luck with your househunting trip!

Jill said...

Oh no!! I hate days that start like that. It's like the rest of the day is a mess from one bad incident!

Good luck with your househunting trip!

Jill said...

Oh no!! I hate days that start like that. It's like the rest of the day is a mess from one bad incident!

Good luck with your househunting trip!

mama2dibs said...

And adventure that was! Yikes! I guess it made it so that you didn't have such a tear-y good bye. Ok...there were probably tears shed, they just were angry, not sad. Good luck with the rest of your week, your flight and house hunting.