Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Date with a Bloodsucker

I am a bookworm. I love books. I read just about anything from chick lit to Christian fiction to non-gore suspense to just regular old fiction. I have never been into the sci-fi, paranormal type books. I attempted a pass at Harry Potter when it was the big rage and, well, it just didn't do anything for me.

So when my fellow best bookworm Jamie asked me if I had read the reviews or heard much about some Young Adult series by Stephanie Meyer I told her that I had seen the books at the store and knew they were popular but that I didn't think they would be something I would enjoy reading. She told me to check out the reviews online and to just see what I thought. So we both decided to get the first book, Twilight, and take a stab at it.

I started the first book yesterday, all 544 pages, and couldn't put the book down. Not only did I finish that book, but I also bought the remaining three in the series and finished the second one, New Moon, at 3 am.

Okay yes it is a young adult series, and yes it is about vampires, and yes it is a love story, but wow... I am addicted. A-D-D-I-C-T-E-D. I never in a million years thought I would enjoy these books. I scoffed at Jamie when she mentioned them. Not only do the characters and storyline suck you in, but this series teaches life lessons –– Lessons about dedication, family, friendships, giving into desires. No diet pill reviews, she stole my boyfriend, my mom hates me. Just good old reading.

I am a 1/4 way through the third book. I have so many things to get done before my flight on Friday that I really can't be reading. I shouldn't be reading. But I have to read. I have to find out what happens to my bloodsucker friends. I need to know. Maybe I should just read a bit more just to learn how to NOT give into my desires.

10 comments:

Aimee said...

So I was just at the library, and now I NEED to go back and get these books! Sounds good!

her said...

Alexis you need to hook up w/my daughter (the grands on my blog) she reads like you! Of course I am also a booknut....my daughter got it honest!

I will check out the outline online...and let you know.

Joy, DeeDee

Jamie said...

Yeah well You left out the part where we were supposed to read together to be able to discuss the book. OOOH Yes you traitor who is on book 3!!! YOU MUST STOP READING ABOUT VAMPIRE LOOOOVE.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think I would read them, but I did and I LOVED them! I'm reading the final book now and I can't wait to finish! I admit, I will miss them when I'm done : )

Terri said...

Love them too! but I've always been a big vampire series reader so it was no surprise. What did surprise me was the depth of feelings the characters exhibit and I'm loving the "cleaness" of the books - fantastic. I've read the first two but am waiting to buy the next two this w/e to take on vacation with me. I will finish them in the 3 days I'm gone, no doubt about it!

Corie said...

Hmmm...
I've been wondering about this series that I've heard so much about.
I don't know that I could read a book about vampires. Just not sure how I feel about it.....

Ang said...

This post just cracked me up. I too am a book worm. Several years ago when the Left Behind series came out...I read all 12 books from cover to cover in no time flat. (Don't they say it's good to READ in front of your children?) Course I got nothing else done..who needed meals & beds made? ha I felt the same as you did about Harry Potter...tried and just never got into that series. So when this Twilight series came out my 17 year old wanted to read it. Well I went against my normal of "let me read it first" and said yes. Well she didn't put it down nor the next few books. Absolutely loved it and all of her friends did too. I just kept saying...'what's the deal with vampires?' Maybe I should be checking this out before I continue to let my child read it..ha So anyway NOW that she has finished them all she told me just last night...Mom I layed the first book on the counter if you want to read it, as much as you love to read I am telling you, you will love it....so thanks...now I know what I'll be doing for the next little bit...ha Have a safe flight!!

Unknown said...

I have not gotten the books yet. From what everyone says they are good. I'm like you and can read a book in about 12 hours if you left me alone!

Ang said...

Just thought I would let you know I read Twilight in 2 days..now on the 2nd one. I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not put it down..almost finished with the 2nd one!!ha Can't wait to read the 3rd & 4th and the movie comes out in NOV!!

Carey said...

Ive heard so many people say they are really good. I actually have the first three, but never read them. My question to you is, are they appropriate for a 13 1/2 year old? My daughter got one from the school library, but i made her return it. IT sounds like a lot of kids are reading it, I was told it is more for the maturer teen(does that make sense)? I know i should just read the books since i have them, and i plan to..some day...just havent made the time to. But i am curious as to what you think.