Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Going, Going, Gone

This afternoon I was given notice that as of Wednesday at 4 pm I will be laid off from my part-time, on-going, contract job. This is with a company that I have worked with since 1998 in various capacities. For those who do not know, I am a freelance/contract writer for this company and others as the need arises. I do anything from press releases, website copy, media kits, magazine or newsletter articles, product bulletins, and sales kits to media relations and speech writing. Basically if it needs written I do it.

All contract employees for my division have been laid off. This decision is final and they cannot say the longevity of this. I do not work full time and we do not depend on any money that I make to survive. I work from home, make my own schedule and am able to stay home with the kids. Frankly, I have been very blessed. I cannot imagine what some of the others given this news are feeling. Frankly I think it is pretty sad that they have been given a 2 days notice, especially right before Christmas. While I can understand with the tough economic situation our country is in, it still just isn't fair.

To be honest, for me it is a pride issue. When I give so much to my kids and to my husband, this is the one thing that is mine and mine alone. And right now when I feel like I am giving so much to everyone else, this was the one constant thing I have that is just "mine". It did make me feel better that one of my co-workers not affected by the layoff called this afternoon and told me how much he enjoyed working with me, how sorry he was and how I am on the top of the list when/if they are able to bring people back. He said it is always sad when good people are let go for reasons beyond their control.

It is not often that I have a pity party for myself, but I have been parenting 3 kids for the past 2 months alone, I am moving 7,412 miles away, I haven't seen my husband in 2 months, all my belongs will be packed and on a boat starting Thursday not to be seen for 6 - 8 weeks, my kids are grating on each other and myself, my oldest child hates me on most days, Sami hasn't slept through the night in months, I still have a huge list of things to do and pack before Thursday, 3 of my close friends are going through things that are breaking my heart and it hurts that I will not be here to hold their hand, I am not near ready for Christmas, I miss my daughter even more during the holidays, frankly I am tired and now I have been laid off. I think I am entitled to have a pity party for just a few minutes. But I promise it will be just a few minutes. I know that God has a plan, and I know that the plan will be great. Maybe I will get that book written after all.

So to those who have been affected by this downturned economy my heart goes out to you. For those who received bad news today my heart breaks for you. I pray this recession is short-lived and that our nation will soon be on its way to being even better than before.

15 comments:

mama2dibs said...

Oh, girl! What a time you are having. :( You are so good at being so upbeat (albeit on a "time schedule") that those of us who know you through your blog don't even have a clue what you are going through. My heart goes out to you as I sit here with a tear falling down my cheek. I have LOVED reading your blog from day one and I just hurt from you. It's amazing how just reading a blog can make you feel like such friends, but I DEFINITELY consider you a friend. I will continue to pray for you as you go through all of this stress and tension. You are right, God does have a plan. I will hold tight to that promise for you. :) ((hugs))

Jill said...

Well, from where I sit, you are holding up well. But I know that sometimes we all just need a break from "doing it all." You are going through a lot right now, Alexis, and it must be terribly frustrating to not have Matt there, if only to show you a little appreciation and gratitude (Because I'm guessing you don't get a lot of that from the kids. Does anyone?) Hang in there. Pour yourself a glass of wine and curl up with a good book tonight to give yourself a break from being Super Woman! You deserve it!!

Unknown said...

Prayers and hugs are coming your way. Just close your eyes and breathe, okay?

Michelle said...

Hugs, girl! I will continue to pray for you and your family and friends.

Ang said...

Oh Alexis I am so sorry...but we both know God has a bigger plan in store for your life on his time table. I will be praying for your family as I have been lately so much, with your move, your husband being out of town and you pretty much holding down the fort!! I am proud of you and God is too!! hugs:)

Kimmber said...

Alexis, I'm so, so sorry! You have your pity party, quite frankly, you've "earned" it.

It truly does suck being such short notice right before the holidays. I'm glad you don't depend upon that money, but i certainly understand how you feel about losing something what makes you, you.

*hugs*

Kimmber

Jamie said...

A, As I indulge you in your pity party I will say this for you. LIFE SUCKS sometimes. Also, LIFE IS NOT FAIR. It is ok to sometimes wish you could crawl in bed, have a huge cry session , pull the covers up over your head and pass out. And then you wake up and your a kid again with not a care in the world and your mommy and daddy can take care of everything. (Wouldn't it be nice to have a time machine that would allow you twice in your life to make a two day trip back to childhood for a break then you go back and life continues?)

Now on a grownup level, Honey I am so sorry this is all coming on so fast and furious right now. It doesn't help for everyone to remind you your such a strong person. You know this. You keep trucking when everyone else crumbles. I am so blessed to have you be such a big part of MY life and you know I am here for you when you need to lean.

Terri said...

you are soooo entitled to a pity party and everyone will understand, I'm surprised it hasn't happened before now with just the burden of the move and all the events and to do lists leading up to it. You've done good and you can't take it personal about the job, sounds like they did a total whack of contractors so it wasn't personal. Who has time for work now anyways - you are rockin' the biggest event of your lives! And when things settle down in Japan, start that book, I'll read it!

~michelle pendergrass said...

(((hugs)))

If I were close, I'd take you out for a drink.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Alexis! HUGS

Louise said...

Thinking of you and praying too!!
HUGS

Deborah said...

I am so sorry. This economy sucks :( I hope things turn around quickly and they call you back soon. Or, I hope you find something even better.

Tracey said...

Alexis, I'm just catching up on all this. I'm so sorry you got laid off and are having such a rough time right now. You've certainly got a lot on your plate. Hope you enjoy your girls' night out! Hang in there. {{hugs}}

Melanie said...

Sending prayers your way! Hope you have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Love, Melanie

LiLi said...

Oh, AJ, what a sucky thing to happen right at Christmas (or anytime really) ****((Hugs))**** I know Christmas is a tough time anyway, because of missing sweet Allison. Im sorry I haven't been keeping up with my blog reading and I missed this until now. I know you are safe and sound at home with your parents and your hubby and kids and friends. I just wanted you to know, you are loved, and your positive attitude is so refreshing. Yes, you certainly do deserve your pity party. I hope you will write your book. I look forward to reading it one day. Love you, girl, and Merry Christmas!