Friday, November 06, 2009

Doomsday is Near

In less than 48 hours I will be on my hike. For those who are new to my blog, you can read about my serious lack of judgment moment here.

Sunday morning I will be hoping in a cab around 3:30 am to head to Suma, the starting point of the 56k (over 32 miles) hike. The group of us 32 gaijins will be meeting at 4:30am and the hike officially starts at 5 am. We have until 10:30 pm to finish.

I have to admit I have been doing a raindance around my house much of the past week. Unfortunately the raingods must be out on holiday as it is supposed to be partly sunny and 71 on Sunday, with no chance of rain.

Tomorrow I am going to head to the store and attempt to find some funky muscle spray that was recommended and stuff to make trail mix. Matt says there will be vending machines and small stores along the way to get some stuff, so I really just need a bottle of water and a few small energy boosting snacks in my backpack. I am also going to load my ipod up with some new tunes and maybe a few podcasts. And yes I am planning on taking my point and shoot camera. This will be one "adventure" that I must document, as it will never happen again.

I have to admit I am really feeling unprepared for this. I may even wind up on social security disability afterwards. But how do you prepare for a 56k hike? I don't think this will be about strength or how athletic you are, but rather how much endurance you have. Let's just hope I have about 17 hours worth.