Thursday, May 27, 2010

Blink, Blink, Blink

Today Chris turned 11-years-old (Happy birthday buddy!!). Yesterday was his middle school orientation. Next week Sami will be 7-years-old. We just received Emily's freshman class schedule. It won't be long before we have to start thinking the c-word –– college. Every time I blink, my kids are one year older and one year closer to leaving me us.

 Emily (7), Chris (4), Sami (6 weeks)

Emily (14), Chris (10), Sami (6)

Sure, there are days where I am begging for a group of gypsies to take my children, but I know firsthand how heartbroken I would be without them. One of my friends told me in an email yesterday to cherish the time I have with my kids because soon they won't need or want me around anymore. While I would like to say that would never happen, that would be naive. I remember the day when I was too cool for my parents.

I wish there was a way to stop time, just for a bit. I am looking forward to the next phases in each of my kid's lives, but it is bittersweet to think about the ones I will never have again. There will never be another first step, a first word, or first time they pee peed on the potty. There will never be a first day of kindergarten again. And somehow I think the next "firsts" (kisses, dances, dates, driving, broken hearts...) won't be as easy and cause way more gray hair.

So in only 15 short days, I will have a 9th grader, a 6th grader and a 2nd grader. Boy that makes me feel, well, tired.

1 comment:

LiLi said...

Amen, Alexis... I'm tired, TOO! Looking at Cait tonight, in her 3-6 month outfit, I just thought... SLOW DOWN, you are my last baby, I don't want you to grow so fast! I look forward to the next stages, but I will so miss where they all are now.