Tuesday, August 17, 2010

It's All About the Adventure, Right?

Participating in the 56k hike last November so much torture fun, that I have agreed to climb Mt Fuji on Saturday. I have been busy the past few days organizing for 20 of us fools expats to go conquer this mountain/volcano together. Pain in numbers is good, right?


For those not living in Japan, climbing Mt Fuji is supposed to be the MUST do thing when coming to Japan. The mountain is 3,776 m (12,388 ft) and hasn't erupted since 1708. It is estimated that 200,000 people climb Mount Fuji every year, 30 percent of them being foreigners. Climbing really is only permitted and suggested from July 1 to August 27, as this is the time most likely to be snow free. I have been told it is hot as he-ll at the bottom and cold as ice at the top. The hardest part isn't supposed to be the climb, but the change in altitude. I am not sure what to expect.

Our plan is to arrive around 6 pm at the 5th climbing station and relax before starting our climb around 9 pm. Our goal is to hike through the night and be at the top for sunrise. It is supposed to be one of the most amazing sights one can ever see. And don't worry, I am making Matt carry my camera up.  There is no way I am doing this without my Nikon.

So wish "Team Caterpillar" luck this Saturday.  Because, it's all about the adventure, right?

2 comments:

Carey said...

Cant wait to see pictures. Have a great time, and stay safe. DOnt forget the bandaids, and plenty of water. Careful of blisters.

Anonymous said...

I can not wait to see that post!! Good luck.