Thursday, November 18, 2010

Just Call Me a Food Hoarder

A few entries ago I talked about the challenges with cooking and baking in Japan. With these challenges it is very common for expats to bring back "unable to find" from their home country when they return from homeleave. They also place orders with importing stores, such as FBC and Expat Express.

We brought back a suitcase full of baking items, wheat thins, cereals, granola bars, etc when we came back to Japan in August. Last month a few of the other expats and myself went in together and split a case of canned pumpkin and white chocolate chips shipped from the United States. Then last week a few of us discovered cheap shipping from Flying Pig Imports and ordered cereals and a few other items.

The boxes were delivered last Saturday while I was volunteering at the CHIC Holiday Bazaar. Matt took this picture and sent it to my phone, along with the message "What the heck did you order now!".

Between stuff from this summer, my latest Costco run and these orders, my pantry may be a wee bit out of control overstocked.  Matt has sternly nicely told me Japan is not closing their stores, we will not be quarantined to the house for a year and the world is not running out of food, so I need to use up some of my stock before I put anything else in the pantry.  I have no idea why he would feel the need to tell me this.




Believe it or not, there is an order to that madness. I can tell you where every item is what all we have inside the cupboards. For some reason Matt doesn't think so.

2 comments:

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I completely understand! I used to stock up on all sorts of food and they were standard requests whenever family or friends were sending things over. I never did buy from any of the bulk buy expat food services though. I always meant to, but most of the food was American, when I was really craving my good Aussie staples :)

I will have a wander around the store and think of you tomorrow :)

Christi said...

Looks normal to me!